Posted by Kristen Hamilton on June 21, 2015 at 1:40 PM
Line editing focuses on improving sentence structure, looking at the logic and clarity of scenes, maintaining consistency, rhythm of sentences, and breaking up too-long paragraphs. It makes sure, for example, that each character has consistent actions, or that the spelling of a name or place doesn't change. If something is muddy or hard to understand, I will ensure it is clear and reads easily. In the line editing process, I also format your manuscript to be ready for publish as a Kindle ebook.
Line editing focuses on improving:
- Sentence structure
- Clarity and sense of scenes
- Awkward phrasing
- Content of storyline
- Consistency of characters and actions
- Rhythm (ensures a mix of long and short sentences for improved flow)
- Gerunds, nominalizations, and passive voice
- Parallelism and correlative conjunctions
- Breaks up too-long paragraphs
- Includes Kindle ebook formatting
My line editing service does not focus on word choice, punctuation, spelling, repetitiveness, or grammar. (If this is what you're looking for, check out my proofreading service.)
What This Includes:
I take the editor-author relationship seriously, and I’m in your corner to help your book succeed. I’m here to make sure you are as prepared as possible to succeed in this saturated industry, and that means pumping you full of knowledge and resources (in addition to superb editing!) to ensure your book stands the best chance for success, especially against less prepared authors.
Every à la carte editing service includes:
- Unlimited e-mail support: If you have questions about your book, the publishing industry or simply would like advice or feedback, feel free to send away!
- Unlimited phone support: If you prefer phone calls, let’s talk! Send me an email anytime and we will schedule a quick phone call to chat.
- Editor’s Report: This 1-page letter I write after editing your book highlights the most common issues I found during editing, and is geared toward showing you how to avoid your most common writing mistakes to become a better writer.
- Unlimited advertising: I regularly post blogs and Facebook videos teaching about writing and commonly refer to my clients’ work as examples (possibly including yours, in the future!). Every week I share pictures, links, and reviews of books I have edited, and am always happy to help promote books I’ve edited in some capacity. When it comes to marketing your work, every little bit helps, and I’m so proud to share, show off, and talk about books I’ve edited.
Interested in line editing, plus a little bit more? Line editing is one of the services included in The Basic, The Standard, and The Ultimate editing packages.
Please read my guide for information on sample edits, editing packages, rush project options, and the scheduling process.
Questions? Ready to get on the schedule? Contact me!